The Faulkner Homestead (a.k.a. Jones-Faulkner House, Faulkner House) is
the oldest surviving house in Acton, Massachusetts.
An outstanding example of First Period architecture, it was built in
c.1707 for Ephraim Jones (1679-1710) of Concord, who established a fulling
mill on a portion of the plantation originally granted in 1654 to Major
Simon Willard, a founder of Concord and acquired about 1660 by the Concord
Iron Works Company.
The Faulkner Homestead is owned by the Iron Work Farm in Acton, Inc., an
educational, non-profit historical organization. The Faulkner House serves
as a house museum, meeting place, storage facility for museum items not on
display, and a private residence for the tenant/caretaker.
This comprehensive Condition Assessment and Master Plan Study for the
house and site was carried out with the help of a Massachusetts
Preservation Projects Fund (MPPF) grant from the Massachusetts Historical
The project team, including
Landscape Architecture, LLC, prepared scaled base drawing of the
existing house and the site, and inspected and recorded existing
conditions. In addition, considerable research into historical sources,
review and compilation of the wealth of historical information in the
possession of the IWF was carried out and presented in a report. Based on
discussions with IWF to determine their needs and organizational plans
relative to the facility a facility program was developed. A series of
alternative design approaches to plans for the building and site and their
costs were provided.